Don’t worry! You will be eating popcorn and snacking on potato chips again in no time! Before you can start enjoying some of the treats you love, you will need to take special care of your new braces to avoid any foods that could damage them.
Foods to Avoid With Braces:
- PIZZA CRUST, HARD BAGELS, PRETZELS ... these can bend wires
- ICE ... chewing on ice will break your brackets and bend wires
- DORITOS, HARD TACOS, CHEETOS, etc.
- APPLES, CARROTS ... cut up into small pieces and chew with your back teeth; do not bite into them
- CORN ON THE COB, RIBS, MEAT ON BONE ... take the meat off the bone before eating
- HARD CANDY, LOLLIPOPS, JOLLY RANCHERS ... will break your brackets for sure!
- POPCORN ... stay away from popcorn kernels!
- TOFFEE, CARAMEL, TAFFY ... will stick to your brackets, pull out your wires, and cause cavities
- CHEWING GUM ... even sugarless gum isn't allowed
- PENS AND PENCILS ... chewing on pens, pencils, and pen caps will break your brackets
Brush your teeth after every meal, including snacks. Good oral hygiene is important to avoid cavities and white spots, and will ensure a beautiful and healthy final result.